The Exceptional Foundation strives to provide social and recreational needs to children and adults with intellectual disabilities. Our goal is to enhance the lives of our participants, but more importantly, to provide a community for them. We follow a certain criteria in order to meet the needs of our participants. Read here about the people we serve.
- Must be 5 years of age and older
- Participants must have independent self-help skills (i.e., toileting, eating, etc.)
- Participants must be able to follow simple verbal commands and participate in activities with minimum assistance from the staff
- Participants enrolled in the program must have established social maturity to the degree that they are able to interact in a meaningful way with program participants
- The physical, cognitive and medical needs of participants must be such that they do not require one-on-one assistance or exceed established participant/staff ratio of 10:1
- Admission interview is required
Daily Program Activities:
The Exceptional Foundation offers a wide variety of activities for everyone who attends to enjoy. Each activity is geared toward our participant’s likes and abilities.
- Pillow Polo
- Wii Dance
- Musical Dots
- Daily Exercise
- Sign Language
- Cooking and Art with Jr. League
Click here to see our Prom pictures! The password is EF Prom 2012. It is case sensitive and include the spaces! Thanks to YOUnique Expressions Photobooth Lounge for taking our pictures!
Not only do we offer daily sports, but we also offer additional sporting events for youth and adults with a more competitive side. For questions, , our Sports Coordinator.
- Basketball – youth and adult
- Track & Field
Our Art Program lets each participant experience an array of different mediums focusing on a positive outcome. Our participants need a place which enables them to fulfill and release their creative potential through the arts. Each person is an artist in his or her own way. The art program would not be possible without the support of the Alabama State Council on the Arts.
- Daily crafts
A big part of the Foundation’s daily programs include field trips in and around the Birmingham area. We believe it is important to venture out into the community as much as possible. And it’s a great way to practice our social skills!
- Birmingham Zoo
- McWane Science Center/IMAX
- Botantical Gardens
- Hoover Fitness
- Swan Lake Stables
- Dawson Baptist Church
The Exceptional Foundation is very involved with The Special Olympics of Alabama. We travel all over the country competing in different sporting events. Becky Morgan has been devoted to Special Olympics for many years and enjoys the competitive spirit. if you have questions regarding Special Olympics.
The Aktion Club, sponsored by the Homewood-Mountain Brook Kiwanis Club, provides adults living with disabilities an opportunity to develop initiative, leadership skills and to serve their communities through volunteer activities. Recent Aktion Club service projects benefitted Birmingham Community Kitchens, the Salvation Army and Center Point Elementary tornado victims. The club’s more than 20 members are all participants at The Exceptional Foundation.